On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Michael Grant wrote:

> We aren't building an enterprise app here, we're dealing with a one-off
> that's localized. If you can whip up a quick cf process in a couple lines of
> code that does the trick IMO it's better than a scalable "proper" tool.

I can count on one hand the number of times the "one off, localized"
procedure actually stayed thus.

More oft than naught (not), the one off becomes your daily task, and
that "fast" one-time way becomes not so fast, and not so cool (as they
usually tend to ask for more, once they see see how fast and easy it
was for you to accomplish said one-off).

Do it right the first time, if possible, even if it takes a bit longer.

I'm totally down with your basic premise tho-- if it's going to take
"too long" to do it better, go with what you know.

I'm just saying, beware the long tail, ja know?

--
There is no real teacher who in practice does not believe in the
existence of the soul, or in a magic that acts on it through speech.