On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Robert Munn wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:47 PM, denstar  wrote:
>>
>> And I see that you feel the pros outweigh the cons.
>> And I'm saddened by that.
>> At least in this context.  =]
>
> I am saddened by the fact that you would have rather seen Los Angeles
> destroyed.

False dichotomy, my friend.

You have no way of proving torture was the only way of getting this
"valuable" (so says the people who o.k.ed the torture, we should add)
information.

>From the thing you posted, actually, it sounds like he wanted to talk
from the beginning.  (Pride or ego perhaps.)

I'd torture the guy who was unnaturally quiet, personally.  For the
dude "hinting ominously"?  A cheeseburger or whatever.  Maybe fake him
out, like in "The Unit", where they made the dude think the attack had
already happened, so he gave up the "now useless" information.

Does justifying the deed make people feel less bad about condoning it,
perhaps?  "We had no other choice-- what, you *wanted* L.A. to be
destroyed?  I bet you hate children too!  See, really, *you're* the
monster!"

Not that people who condone torture are monsters-- hell, I bet most
Nazis weren't much different than you or I, when we get down to brass
tacks.

--
The spirit is at home, if not entirely satisfied, in America.
Allan Blo