On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Scott Stroz <boyz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but when even the worst doctor
> in the US can pull in several hundred thousand dollars a year, the supposed
> altruistic reasons for persuing such a career are kind of hard to swallow.

If you are interested in actual data, here is the Merritt Hawkins
survey for 2008 on primary care physician salaries:
http://www.merritthawkins.com/pdf/2008-mha-survey-primary-care.pdf

Merritt Hawkins is pretty reputable in this field. The survey found
that roughly 25% made 200K or more per year and only 8.9% made 300K or
more in 2007. On the other end of the spectrum, 19% made less than
100K. Either this means that the worst doctors can't make several
hundred thousand a year or else it means that there are a whole lot of
altruistic physicians. Which is it?

If you'd care to see more of their research, they list a number of
interesting studies on their website:
http://www.merritthawkins.com/compensation-surveys.aspx

> I never made a claim that physician's were against a single payer system -
> not sure where you got that from.

Sorry, I may have unfairly lumped you in with Gruss and Robert there.
Though if their assertion that a single payer system would cause MD
salaries to fall precipitously were correct and your assertion that
said MDs are primarily motivated by money is correct then it would
logically seem to follow that MDs would be against it.

Judah