> Single cases always make an emotional argument to involved just as
> personal experience does, but that's a total aside.
> If you can find that reference, I'd appreciate it. Not that it means
> anything to me, but a reference is always good when a discussion like
> this comes up. And you KNOW it will again. and again. and again.

You can always do a scholar.google search:
here's a link to the search I just used:

http://tinyurl.com/nclt97

and a few relevant studies from it:
http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/58/10/909 - differences seen
initially in a set of standard neuropsych tests, but no differences between
heavy daily users, former users and controls were found after 28 days.

http://tinyurl.com/kohhcb found deficits for very heavy long term users (7 or
more times per week) but not medium users with non users.

http://tinyurl.com/llgsxf found no differences.

http://tinyurl.com/nezkrv studied Ecstasy, but in the subjects table is very
interesting on cannabis use. To quote from the discussion section:
--
Ecstasy users also had taken a greater number of other illicit drugs than did
the control subjects, although the latter group had an appreciable exposure to

http://tinyurl.com/mgpdz7 - fMri study found no real differences from the
abstract:
--
 Cannabis users and controls performed equally well during the working memory
task and the selective attention task. Furthermore, cannabis users did not

Note the region of interest analysis at the time was subject to very
problematical type I and II errors, so I am not confident of those results.

http://tinyurl.com/kvylo4 review study - found significant short term but not
long term effects.

http://tinyurl.com/lk7rwq from the abstract:
--
Despite similar task and cognitive test performance compared with control
subjects, active and abstinent marijuana users showed decreased activation in

Problem with many of these studies is that they don't mention other drug use in
either the controls or the different experimental groups. Frequently the sample
sizes are quite small, in several there were age or SES differences that could
also explain some of the experimental results. I could go on and about the
drawbacks to this area but you'd be terminally bored. In general then the
results are all over the board.

larry