there are the germs of an idea there, but it does need work. For one thing,
yes, I do find it annoying to subsidize idiots who bought low-mileage cars
because they could. Also, it's apparently not hitting the intended target
market. I heard something about a majority of customers paying cash, ie,
it's saving a bit of money for people who seem to already have some. Awesome
as that may be for them, I thought the idea was to get old Fleetwoods and
the like retired. I also heard there were questions about whether parts
could be recycled. I sympathize with the desire to do so, but isn't that
contrary to the spirit of the thing? Last, I think the definition clunker
needs work. I rather got the impression that my three-year-old
relatively-high-gas-mileage  Mitsubishi would qualify as long as I was
buying something that was slightly better gas mileage. If this is true, it
seems like a case of diminishing returns.

So strangely enough I agree with Sam also, and its not just that I am
touched by his comments in the other thread ;P