I had a friend who lived next door ro an open air drug market in Langley
Park (yeah I know it's not Capitol Hill but bear with me.) He actually felt
safer -- the kids watched his house and were very courteous to him. Matter
of fact, I can attest to the fact that when I would be helping some little
old lady get her groceries inside in such neighborhoods, a lot of times the
guys selling drugs would help. Yeah there was self-interest there  --
business didn't happen while I was there with my radio going blocking the
courtyard, but bottom line these were often nice kids who did not see that
they had any other way to make a living. But you also did not want to show
up arrogant and drunk and flashing money usually....I saw a lot of people
get in trouble that way.

Anyway, what you say is true but ... people still got shot closing their
curtains; one woman got shot driving her son home from choir practice. And
there are feral children in some of the neighborhoods...
Bottom line. The Supreme Court, the library of Congress, the museums are all
pretty safe during the day. At night the federal core is lonely and yes,
there are predators, and yes, there are open-air drug markets very close to
downtown and the Hill.

::shrug::

The place has its points. It's one of the more beautiful and most
interesting cities in the world. But you should be careful where you walk at
night, just like you should in Paris, London or New York.