>Okay, I'm going to invoke the formulaic argument - any time that I
>post, within a reasonable number of posts someone, typically Sam,
>Gruss, Larry or one of the other regulars will make a snarky comment
>and then an exchange will begin that will drag the thread onto a new,
>heretofore unexpected course of discussion.
>
>Thanks for keeping the status quo folks!
>
>In all seriousness, thanks for all the advice - the new museums look
>interesting and the traffic pattern update is good info as well.
>
>Cheers!
>Hatton

N/P. Its just I'm getting pissed at the prejudices exhibited against DC. More
often than not the people who are arguing that it horribly dangerous nasty etc,
argue by anecdote or vague reminiscence, rarely by real data. More often than
not anecdotes are not worth much, not even the paper they're written on.

But here's my general advice, take the VRE or the Metro into DC. You can get
day passes or if I can suggest you may want to get a SmartTrip card. These can
be purchased ahead of time or at the stations. You can then load as much as you
want on them. If you are parking in a Metro lot, you will need one of these
cards to get out of the lot, unless you can find one of the few exits that that
credit cards.

If you want to go through the Smithsonian Museums on the Mall, and want to go
through most of them, be prepared to take at least 2 or 3 days to do so. Also
try some of the side trips in the area, like National Harbor, Hanes Point, Fort
Ward (if you're into the Civil War) etc.  Go through something like the
Frommer's Guide to DC (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/washingtondc/) and
plan the excursions but leave plenty of time for extras.

larry