Here's a pretty good analysis from Foreign Policy magazine that I read
yesterday.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2009/09/17/the_new_defense_realism?page=0,1

Basic run down is that Bush admin wanted to use the missile defense
systems they've been trying to get to work in Alaska. Three
fundamental problems with that is that 1, it doesn't work very well if
at all and 2, the technology that doesn't quite work yet would have to
be adapted to a new situation and 3, it is built for working against
long range missiles (ICBM) and the major threat in the Eastern
European theater would be Iran (which doesn't have long range missiles
and won't for quite some time) and possibly Russia, which would be
using short and medium range missiles on Eastern Europe, not long
range missiles.

Basically, the Obama admin said that we should focus on short and
medium range missile defense in that theater and use technology that
is more proven for that purpose.

Judah