> Casey wrote:
> 5. Super Volcano
>> Um, yeah exactly... what do we do if this happens?

Yeah, that's a scary one.  Basically Yellowstone has had 3 eruptions
starting about 2M years ago and each one has been progressively
larger, the smallest of which makes Mt. St. Helens look like a
firecracker.  The caldera is like 50 miles across!

People got pretty nervous because earlier this year there was an
earthquake "swarm"  and the ground lifted by 3 inches.

And there's nothing you can really do about it either.

You could try to drill into it to relieve the pressure but even if you
had the tools to do it - and we don't - the problem is the dissolved
gasses in it which is the problem as I understand it.

Basically once there's a pressure outlet it's like opening a can a
coke: a runaway reaction takes place as the gases bubble out of the
magma.

I've read that if it goes it'll essentially take out most of the North
American continent for at least 5 years and probably cause an ice age.

The people who die in the initial eruption will be the lucky ones.