>From Excel help:

If you want to get automatic updates of the other users' changes
periodically, with or without saving, click Share Workbook on the
Tools menu, click the Advanced tab, and under Update changes, click
the options you want.

or...
another way round it may be to set the Update Changes option to "When
files is Saved"

Then, install the autosave add in, and set that to automatically save
every minute or so...

or... I heard MS has an auto save add-in but haven't looked for it.

Does that do the trick for you?