We are going to redo our site from the ground up starting next year. Almost
13 years of ColdFusion coding pieced together. You should see some of
this...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeffrey Epstein [mailto:jeffr...@pobox.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:11 AM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: MySpace and ColdFusion

The original thing I was calling out was the influence of the MS discount
and misunderstanding of CF at MySpace. But I am not suprised to hear there
was poorly written code there, and it is not CF's fault. In fact, I'm
starting to wonder now how much we (old timers) are responsible for those
misimpressions of CF that linger today. Much of my work has been cleaning up
spaghetti code...and I'm sorry to say some of it was mine. My first CF
training was a 3-day affair, and I think a lot of people got started with
things like that. I kept trying to improve, read CFDJ, went to CFUnited when
it started, and got better. But in those early days before methodologies,
frameworks, and good practices, it was kind of a Wild West of coding, wasn't
it? For all our talk about separating content and presentation, I admit I
originally hard-coded text more than I should have, didn't CFINCLUDE as much
as I should have....although still, I was MUCH better than some people I saw
that didn't understand the principles at all.

But I still blame people who blame CF when they don't really know what it
can do. Especially today's versions, which some people don't even know
exist!