I haven't seen SIPGate before.  I did look briefly at their site and
it looks kinda like Vonage or Skype, but aimed as businesses?  I've
used Skype overseas before and it's worked fine.  SIPGate I have never
heard of (but maybe I've been under a rock).

I don't know what type of cell you have, but there are pretty good
Skype clients of the iPhone that will work over Wifi.  I imagine they
exist for other phones as well.

-Cameron