Who do you think you are? Me? Kill joy. ;)

Yeh, the post is a bit more towards cf-jobs-talk but if we can talk
sql, we can talk this stuff.

That being said, I'll answer publicly.

1. Have you found this to be the case?
not really. Both company types have shown me projects that were
constrained by budgets that got in the way of doing it right, clean,
tight, whatever. Both company types have had (in my experience) both
fun and dead boring tasks. I think your spectrum is missing some
dimensions.

2. How to get the best of both worlds?
You don't. You do the job, get paid, and while doing the job you do
the best you can. Large or small, interesting or not.
To paraphrase Harlan Ellison "Writing is my job. I don't have time for
writers block or anything else that will get in the way of me doing my
job during work time."
I'd love to work for a large, stable company no matter what work they
have. If it isn't engaging or gratifying, I just have to remember I'm
getting paid and the money can go to an ipad with all of my books and
lynda videos on it so I can learn, read, or whatever to become
gratified (when not at home - home gratification is another story
totally :)).

3. In regards to development, How do you retain the brightest and how
to filter out those who are the clock punchers or demotivators?
If someone is bright, they'll be excited about something new or proud
of something done in 'right'. When I find a sweet piece of anti-bot
security, I'm excited. When I spend 15 minutes to find out why it
works and how to bypass it, I'm equally excited. When I write a bot
using that uses the bypass as part of a bot to do serial downloading
of images to create comic archives, I'm proud of my code. If someone
is proud of their code and is willing to explain it and show why they
are proud, then you probably have someone you want to keep. If someone
is willing to teach what they've done to others, then they also fall
under the bright.
A clock puncher fits the "work and only work" profile from item 2
without the personal excitement that comes from doing something right,
innovative, or the like. They see the work as drudgery. Go in, do it
to spec, don't do more than is needed, go out. A good way of finding
these type of people is by their comments. Do they have any? Do they
explain what's going on and why? In many cases you can recognize the
type of person who you're dealing with by the comments they leave.
A demotivator is just a killjoy who brings others down and should
probably be shot.

Best way to answer the question is to get the developers to teach
something they know once a week at a pizza lunch sponsored by the
company. The bright will teach varying subjects and (usually) show
their excitement. The clock punchers will probably do 'standard' talks
and will usually not pull in their own work for examples. The
demotivators will be the ones against the whole thing.

Look at the term technical debt and use that as a measuring stick in
all of the cases you asked about. Is the company interested in 'paying
off' their technical debt? Is the programmer interested in paying it
off. Have they mentioned it? Noted or documented it?
Technical debt is an excellent way of seeing the relative value that
is placed on an application (or parts of it).

http://martinfowler.com/bliki/TechnicalDebt.html

I'd suggest this book in general just for the 2 pages that talk about
technical debt:
97 Things Every Programmer Should Know
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596809484?ie=UTF8&tag=houseoffusion&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0596809484

That's another way to separate those you want to keep and those you
don't. Keepers want to grow, expand, get better. They're willing to
learn new things and will make the effort to research and investigate
new things to learn. Clock punchers don't go the same distance. For
the cost of a few hundred dollars for a physical library, you have an
excellent detector of employee value. Who suggests books? Who reads
them? Who takes them home? Yes, you can have a digital library, but a
physical one can give you more information by how people act around
it.

But I'm babbling. Muffins HO!
(get your mind out of the gutter)

--