> I don't understand how people hold other variables
> in a decision as higher than human lives.  such as
> getting to a ceremony on time, or keeping a job!

Indeed.  One of the things we learn in flight training it to avoid
"getthereitis" where you feel you HAVE to make a deadline.  Safety is
paramount and bad things happen when you put it in the back seat.  One
instructor once told me that in aviation, as a pilot, you have to be
prepared to walk away from a job at any time.  If the client (even if it is
the president) tells you to do something you consider to be unsafe, "or
else", just quit and walk away.  You might be out of a job, but at least
everyone stays alive.  In the case of a flight in progress, the pilot has
ultimate authority and responsibility for the flight.  If the conditions
were bad enough, they should have aborted and gone to their alternate
landing location, regardless of who the passengers are.

-Justin