Very sad and tragic.

In the near future, there probably won't be as many images of animals coming
from the gulf.

The Coast Guard has put new restrictions into place that prevents the
public, which includes reporters and photographers, from coing within 65
feet of response vehicles or booms (either on land or in the water).  A
violation of new safety zones could result in a 40K fine and a class D
felony charge.

Ariel shots have already been hampered by a restriction on how low aircraft
can fly over the area.

Some reporters are not happy.

Associated Press photographer Gerald Herbert said "Often the general guise
of 'safety' is used as a blanket excuse to limit the media's access, and
it's been done before.   It feels as though news reporting is being
criminalized under thinly veiled excuses. The total effect of all these
restrictions is harming the public's right to know."

Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said "I think somebody came up
with a good reason of how to justify keeping the press away.  But guess
what? That isn't gonna keep us away. Anytime you all want, you all can come
in there wherever we go, on our boats.''
Anderson Cooper was particularly distressed about the lack of transparency.

COOPER: So, this is the exact same logic that federal wildlife officials
used to prevent CNN on two occasions from getting pictures of oiled birds
that have been collected, pictures like — like the — well, that we’re about
to show you which are obviously deeply disturbing, pictures of oiled gulls
that we just happened to catch. Suddenly, we were told after — after that
day we couldn’t catch it anymore. So, keeping prying eyes out of marshes,
away from booms, off the beaches is now government policy.

When asked why now, after all this time, Thad Allen said he had gotten some
complaints from local officials worried people might get hurt. Now, we don’t
know who these officials are. We would like to. But transparency is
apparently not a high priority with Thad Allen either these days.

Maybe he is accurate and some officials are concerned. And that’s their
right. But we’ve heard far more from local officials about not being able to
get a straight story from the government or BP. I have met countless local
officials desperate for pictures to be taken and stories written about what
is happening in their communities.

We’re not the enemy here. Those of us down here trying to accurately show
what’s happening, we are not the enemy. I have not heard about any
journalist who has disrupted relief efforts. No journalist wants to be seen
as having slowed down the cleanup or made things worse. If a Coast Guard
official asked me to move, I would move.

But to create a blanket rule that everyone has to stay 65 feet away boom and
boats, that doesn’t sound like transparency. Frankly, it’s a lot like in
Katrina when they tried to make it impossible to see recovery efforts of
people who died in their homes.

If we can’t show what is happening, warts and all, no one will see what’s
happening. And that makes it very easy to hide failure and hide incompetence
and makes it very hard to highlight the hard work of cleanup crews and the
Coast Guard. We are not the enemy here.

We found out today two public broadcasting journalists reporting on health
issues say they have been blocked again and again from visiting a federal
mobile medical unit in Venice, a trailer where cleanup workers are being
treated. It’s known locally as the BP compound. And these two reporters say
everyone they have talked to, from BP to the Coast Guard, to Health and
Human Services in Washington has been giving them the runaround.

We’re not talking about a CIA station here. We’re talking about a medical
trailer that falls under the authority of, guess who, Thad Allen, the same
Thad Allen who promised transparency all those weeks ago.

We are not the enemy here.

The timing of the so-called blackout works well for anyone wanting to hide
the effects of the spill.   According to MSNBC, millions of birds are about
fly into the oil spill area due to their migration patterns.

-

"The Government should not keep information confidential merely because
public officials might be embarrassed by disclosure, because errors and
failures might be revealed, or because of speculative or abstract fears."