"I pay taxes as a form of charity.  I probably could have figured some way
around that.  I doubt I'll ever die, ether."

Well, if it makes you feel better, that's a good way to look at it.

"With the government-- it tries so hard to be fair, it's unfair."

Amen.

"Charity" ain't like that.  You can't sue a church for not giving you soup--
there's no accountability.  =)"

Yes, there is.  You hold the charity accountable.  Don't give if they don't
live up to your standards.  Think of the United Way.  Years ago, the
director got busted for taking first class flights and such.  Donations went
down dramatically.

"And aren't we like, paying less taxes than ever before, or something like
that?  Where's that damn graph..."

No.  Remember, the temporary income tax is less than 100 years old.

"*sob*!  I'm crying with laughter.  The country was *sooooo* fiscally
responsible before The One."

Wrong.  Not even close.  Our country has been fiscally irresponsible for
decades.  And like I said, I don't blame the One for my losses.  It was 100%
my fault.

"We had a surplus, right?  That was thanks to "conservative" ideals, neh?"

No.  There haven't been conservative ideals in office for decades.

"I don't want or expect the government to help me one bit either, ... "

Kudos

"...tho I suspect the difference between you and I, is that I don't mind if
the government helps other folk.  Even if, *gasp* it spends my hard-earned
money to do so."

Exactly.  I want to help people with my hard earned money directly.  Take
out the proxy altogether, especially considering the waste and bureaucracy
my money would have to go through if it went through the government.

"Heh.  Churches had to reform their welfare too.  Now they ask for IDs and
whatnot more often than not.  So they know you ain't just some local bum,
abusing The System."

It's a sign of the times.

On a tangent involving churches and private charities versus government
charity:  Government charity removes all moral components from receiving
charity.  There is no moral code of conduct that is expected.  Also, charity
is soon viewed as an entitlement, so gratitude is removed.  If the charity
is removed, resentment sets in.

"Although, hell, maybe you ain't arguing that folk are generally leeches?"

Nope. I honestly believe most people want to be left alone.  Sometimes they
need a hand.  It should be up to you and me as individuals to help out.

"Maybe you believe that people are generally decent, and just have this odd
idea that it's fine to spend money on stuff like bullets & bombs, but
spending it on bread & medicine is crazy talk?  Because /that/ will be
abused.  Unlike, say, deals for making assault rifles, boots, and bullet
proof vests."

I never said anything about bullets and bombs.  Of course, the way things
are running in metropolitan area projects, it might be a good idea to hand
out bullet proof vests, rifles, and boots.

And, if you want to way in on military expenditures, I don't have problem
with that.  But don't single out just military.  Look at all of the other
areas where the government spends.