> Sorry Trish, according to the peeps on this list, the unions are all evil
> organizations
> bent on destroying free market capitalism.  Please rephrase your story to
> comply
> with this view. ;)

Ready for a double-take Zaps?  You're not *entirely* correct with your
generalization.

When doing what they were *designed* to do, unions have a certain
usefulness.  It's when they're meddling in politics, forcing people to
join them and interfering with affairs in business and locations that
they are not organized and recognized that they become "evil
organizations bent on destroying free market capitalism."

What the union did for Trish in this case is what they are designed to
do - represent workers in a scenario where the worker is at a distinct
disadvantage.  There are times when they defend the indefensible but
that still falls into the, "what they were designed to do," as much as
that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

My distaste for unions comes in when they're picketing a non-union job
with an inflatable rat.  There's also the insane benefit scenario
where the local teacher's union fought the school district going from
5 insurance carriers to 1.  The school district had to lay off
employees because of that action.  It's sad to say that if I see a
news article about a layoff or closure that impacts members of a state
union, I know their answer is going to be, "we'll see you in court."

I'll have to run this "mobbing" thing past my HR co-workers before I
can reply specifically to that.  I do hear stories of bullying by
co-workers and such. When it comes to the demotions and write-ups, I
know we have training seminars we give our clients to coach against
that.

Until Later!
C. Hatton Humphrey
http://www.eastcoastconservative.com

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced