Does not make sense...

In California, it is illegal to have sex with someone under the age of
18.  Statutory rape.  So, an 18 year old male having sex with an 17 year
old female could be charged with rape (not likely to happen in California
though).  Reason, because someone under the age of 18 unable to make that
kind of decision for himself or herself.

But, someone 14 years old can be tried as an adult for murder, robbery, or
other serious crimes.  Reason, should know right from wrong.