Companies are terrified to expand in the face of significant
uncertainties in regulations (cap and trade), taxes, and consumer
sentiment.

This isn't rocket science. The President should go on television
tomorrow and say we're going to extend the Bush tax cuts and defer cap
and trade legislation until the economy recovers. And forget about
extending "most" of the tax cuts - the big chunk of money at the top
is the money that will go to create new jobs through business
investment.