I was dubious about the Cash For Clunkers program when it was
announced. I understand the desire to get really old, trashy,
polluting cars off the road and help get auto sales going but the
logic wasn't quite there to me. If you had the money to spend on a new
car (even with subsidies) would you have a really old, nasty polluting
car? I think not, hence the program brought in lots of cars that
weren't really all that bad.

Anyway, a retrospective analysis shows that it wasn't a terribly
worthwhile program. It seems to have influenced the timing of
purchases rather than stimulating new purchases and it took a lot of
ok cars off the road that has since resulted in higher prices in the
used car market due to lower supply.

Good magazine has an overview:
http://www.good.is/post/more-bad-news-about-cash-for-clunkers

And they link to a well written article in the Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/09/01/clunkers_a_classic_government_folly/

I'm not familiar with their conservative op-ed guy Jeff Jacoby. This
was a nicely written piece and lays things out logically. I'm going to
have to try and keep track of other stuff he writes.

Cheers,
Judah