I think you need to read the NPR interview. The raw economic numbers
only tell part of the story. That's why you look at the people
involved.

Besides you are talking about two entirely different things. Schools
and academic performance are not car sales, and cannot be treated as
such. Moreover if you look at the measures that were used to assess
academic performance in many of the comparative studies, that data is
taken into account. You are letting your ideology blind you to
reality.