Eric,

 you may want to consider the XFF type boxes, like those made by
Shuttle (for example http://us.shuttle.com/G2_7600.aspx). They're
typically about 7 by 8 by 12 inches (think a desktop about 1/4 the
size of a typical mid tower). However they are fully feature desktop
machines. Their only drawback usually is that they only have one or
two expansion slots available, not the typical 6 of regular desktop.
However their performance is usually at least as good as regular
desktops but take up much less space. They're almost as portable as
laptops, and are great for lan parties for instance.