> There should be some super grapple line or something..that
> the guy just latches onto and it pulls him up safely.
> Something!!!

They did mention an elevator that gets them most of the way up there.  It's
just that last 100 feet or so to deal with.

> While watching, I wondered if it would have been cheaper
> and safer to use a helicopter to deliver the person to the
> top and wench them down.

That would be a fun ride, tethered to the bottom of the helicopter to get up
there.  Helicopters tend to be expensive and maneuvering that close to
equipment is fairly dangerous.  There are power companies which use
helicopters to do maintenance on transmission lines though, so there is
precedent.  Those guys are just insane though (they will hover right next to
the lines and the worker will actually bind the helicopter to the line so
that everything is energized to prevent arcing, crazy stuff).

-Justin