On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Vivec <gel21...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Facetime for MAC = Apple Video Conferencing tool.
>
> We've already had it for years in the form of Skype and several other
> similar applications.

I'm not sure this is true, really.  You can open the desktop version
of Facetime, open your contact list, and "call" an existing, plain
jane iPhone phone number using Facetime.  This calls my iPhone using
Facetime, not using the phone network - but with the same AT&T phone
number I have always had.

I have used Skype a little bit, but not as a regular phone.  I know
you can get a Skype number, and I'm guessing you can forward calls to
any phone from that phone number.  But it's pretty slick that you can
use your existing contact list to call iPhones using Facetime.  I
didn't configure anything.  I didn't download anything on my phone.
"It just works".

This is the sort of seamless integration that will help Apple beat
companies like Skype one day - if that's the direction they even plan
to go with this (which I suspect to be the case).

-Cameron

..