Marijuana is a Schedule I drug. Marinol is Schedule III.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/scheduling.html

Being placed on Schedule I means the following:

(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
(B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use
in treatment in the United States.
(C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other
substance under medical supervision." [20]
No prescriptions may be written for Schedule I substances, and such
substances are subject to production quotas by the DEA.

Cheers,
Judah