On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Judah McAuley <ju...@wiredotter.com>wrote:

> Yeast converts it to ethanol, however, and ethanol is still considered
> a sugar if you are looking at it from a chemistry perspective. The
> amount of residual sugars left over also varies significantly
> depending on your beer style. Roughly speaking, the amount of sugars
> pre-fermentation is related to the Original Gravity and the amount
> left over at the end is related to the Terminal Gravity.
>
> An interesting historical anecdote on this subject. Bert Grant, one of
> the founders of microbrewing in the US post-Prohibition, tried to put
> nutritional information on his beers so that everyone could see how
> many calories, how much sugar, etc. The BATF and FDA came down hard on
> them and nipped it right in the bud because they said that nutritional
> information amounted to a claim of health benefits on an alcoholic
> product, which is strictly verboten. Grant tried to argue that people
> should get to know what's in their beer but the government agencies
> didn't want to hear anything about it. Alcohol is bad, m'kay and that
> trumps the wisdom of letting people know what's in it in their minds.

For a college communications class, we had to give an informative
speech...and I chose "How the brewing process works". Researching and
delivering that speech was the most fun I had on an assignment in school.

I got so into it, I had the process memorized by the time my speech came
around, and was the only student to give his speech completely from memory
:)

I got an A. Good times.

Beer...is there anything it can't do?