On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:21 PM, G Money <gm0n3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Judah McAuley <ju...@wiredotter.com> wrote:
>

>> I had tubes in both my ears. One came out just fine on its own. The
>> other had to be pulled out after a couple years. It was disconcerting
>> but not terribly painful. The hardest part, for me, was that I got
>> tubes in just as I was learning to swim and I couldn't do that for a
>> couple years while they were in, so I was a bit delayed on that. But
>> it was a small price to pay to avoid the crippling ear infections that
>> I was plagued with prior to the tubes.
>>

> Wow, that is pretty late to be getting tubes, I would think.

It was the 70s and we didn't have health insurance. I think I
was...hmm...6 or 7 when I had the surgery. Had tubes put in my ears,
tonsils and adenoids removed and the back of my nose rearranged. I
have a very clear memory after the surgery of getting a 7-UP to drink
and it immediately squirted right out my nose. That had never happened
to me before because my sinuses were blocked up. Had to learn how to
drink things differently.

>> Prior to the surgery I got ear infections 3 or 4 times a year. Since
>> then, I've had perhaps 2. Definitely worth it.
>>

> By August of this year, when my kid got his tubes put in, he'd had 8 ear
> infections this year. That's 1 a month. His January ear infection was
> accompanied by a 105 degree fever and a touch of pneumonia.
>
> *sigh*
>
> Bad times.

Bad times indeed. I don't know how my mom made it through everything
between my food allergies and my constant ear infections. I was in the
ER every month or two for a couple years. My empathy goes out to you
and your family, G. But, on the bright side, I can say that I'm proof
that it can get better.

Judah