I would disagree.

I think most people are born into a religion (usually the religion of their
parents)

And are raised as part of that religion.

Only in later years are they likely to _leave_ a religion they were
bequeathed at birth, and reinforced during childhood.

What you are describing below is _faith_, not religion.

Or so I think.
Jerry