>Thanks for this. Dogs roxor.

This article reflects what a lot of us that train and show in sports like dog
agility have learned over the years...dogs have an AMAZING ability to read body
language and cues in ways that seem almost uncanny. The hardest thing for me to
teach my students is to be aware of what their body is doing, and pay less
attention to what they are saying. To really get the point across, we'll
sometimes have them run an entire course silently and most are amazed at how
well their dogs still figure out where to go.

To see another great example of this, look up the Jack Russell on YouTube that
can count (they were on the show Pet Star). Tests have determined that the dog
is definitely reading *some* kind of unconscious body cue from the handler and
he learned to do it on his own without specifically being trained. I've seen
similar acts and can always pick up a hand movement or something else the
handler does, but I've seen this team many, many times and have yet to pick out
the cue the dog is reading.

--- Mary Jo