Actually, the first person to blame the rhetoric was the Pima County sheriff.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/10/giffords-shooting-sheriff-rightwing-rhetoric

Friends have said Dupnik is a decent man saddened by the state of
political debate in his country. "He despises this rightwing or
leftwing rhetoric," one golfing partner told the Washington Post. "He
absolutely despises it."