Regardless of how logical the connections may have seemed at the time,
trying to make those connections with no evidence was premature.

I would be lying if, when I saw the headline (not the subject here, I
saw 'Democratic' in a headline for one of the news channels as well) I
denied that my first thought was, 'I wonder if the person who did it
was a right wing nut job'. But I wonder if that was the intent of
putting 'Democratic' in the headline to begin with. Please note that I
said, 'I wonder if'..big difference than automatically assuming he
was.