I stayed a week at the Royal Sonesta the spring after Katrina. Was a great
location, but the hotel was kind of a shambles. Everything was still stained
and moist, 8 months later. But the place was spectacular. 14 foot ceilings.
lots of great architectural detail. Great location. That one was on the
company dime. I think it was really expensive. If someone else was paying,
I'd love to stay there again.

I also stayed on my own at the Courtyard Marriott on St Charles. Just
outside of the French Quarter, across Canal (which is a little scary
drunkwalking home, due to traffic on canal at all hours), but the rooms were
clean and really affordable. I would stay there again in a second.