One place I can recommend is a restaurant called Daisy Duke's.  It is
just off Canal at 121 Chartres St next to the Marriott.  The food is
cheap but extremely good.  We had a late supper of gumbo, jambalaya,
red beans and rice that was so good we went back the next morning for
breakfast.  Also, music.  Kermit Ruffins, Trombone Shorty, any of the
clubs on Frenchmen Street.   We even waltzed to the buskers.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/nightlife/frenchmenstreet.html

http://www.daisydukesrestaurant.com/

Also, if you're into gourmet dining and strange food, check out The
Green Goddess.
http://www.greengoddessnola.com/