I think it is simpler than all that.

I don't think they ever were that big a threat or deal.

They made a great straw man, but not a lot of substance behind the
smoke they are blowing through the genital hair of their
camels/goats/cave buddies.

I think we are just bored of them, so have put them back where they
really belong threat-wise (underwear bombs, web screeds, unimportant
kidnappings and bombings.

There _are_ dangers out there. I just never thought AQ were them.