> I hate the phone trees at customer support like that.

A small company that I worked for (12 employees) had an automated menu
similar to that.  You could enter someone's extension and it would
call them directly, but instead of going directly to that person's
voice mail they wanted an "application" in front of the mailbox so
that the caller could leave a message (1) back out to the menu (#), or
head for the operator group (0).  It was a pain to set up, but the
idea was that there were no dead ends.  You could try one person, go
back and try someone else, then go back to the original person, then
leave a message.  You could spend all day going around in circles with
it if you wanted to.

Personally, I think there is great value in just having a warm body
answer the phone and direct the calls as needed, but they were a tech
company with a receptionist who took regular breaks to smoke or walk
her dog so they opted for the automated system instead.

-Justin