On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Jerry Barnes <critic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "but your Lincoln quote is absolutely false, btw:"
>
> It may have been erroneously attributed to Lincoln.  I have a lot of quotes
> I rotate through and I try to check the source of all.  Try being the key.

Totally understand, just an fyi on this particular one.

> "I'd also say that the phrases of which it is made up is ridiculously wrong,
> so I'm rather glad that Lincoln never actually said anything of the sort."
>
> I have no doubt that you disagree with every tenet in the poem.  I believe
> you would like it if one were to change "cannot" to "can" in every verse.

That would also be totally false. I would tend to agree with them if
they were changed from absolutes. That's the problem with blithe
homilies like those, they ignore reality and go for soundbite. Can we
cure poverty by impoverishing the rich? No, of course not. But no one
is talking about impoverishing the rich, we are talking about a system
of progressive taxation that creates a more equitable playing field
and still leaves the rich rich, just not as rich.

That's why I was pretty sure when I saw it that it wasn't actually
from Lincoln. Lincoln was an actual leader and therefore needed to
have a sense of nuance and reality.

Cheers,
Ju