> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Judah McAuley <ju...@wiredotter.com> wrote:
> I really liked both of those. Young Blood reminded me of Foster The
> People

Feeling particularly nostalgic tonight.  Some favorites of all time...

Jellyfish
Bellybutton was the best album, but more people are familiar with
Spilt Milk.  This song is from the Bellybutton album.  Never saw them
live, but they are from my "summertime swimming pool soundtrack" of my
high school years, which means they probably sound better to me than
they ever will to anyone else.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgdgptaBma8

Jump Little Children
They had regional fame, doubt they made it to Portland.  The lead
singer's voice is fracking awesome and totally makes the band what it
is.  Saw these guys live in a small venue up the street in Atlanta and
it was one of the best shows I have ever attended to date.  They were
big in the 90s in Atlanta, but didn't make it much farther than that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt-2Y2fV6gU

Citizen Cope
Found this dude when I was living in San Diego.  Personally, it's
kinda my West Coast Soundtrack.  I saw him live in SD and also in
Atlanta about 3 years ago.  He's still touring AFAIK, and very soulful
and great music.  I should seek out another tour date if he's still
playing venues.  Slower stuff and some can be depressing but really
have alot of emotion to his music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8cMy-Jmoso

Kevn Kinney
Kevn was the lead singer for a band called Drivin n Cryin, which was a
big time southern band when I was in high school, but didn't make it
too far beyond the south AFAIK.  They still regularly play shows in
the Atlanta area, particularly festivals.  They often toured with
Peter Buck (of REM).  I was looking for the YouTube version of "The
House Above Tina's Grocery", which is one of my favorite songs of his,
but all I could find was this live performance (Tina's Grocery starts
at about the 3:20 mark).  I don't expect too many people to love this
one, but it has an unshakable place in my heart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jh4LlQ_qrc

XTC
During my formative years, the song "Dear God" was one of the most
amazing songs I'd ever heard.  Church was something that was fairly
routine thing in my family and I didn't enjoy it at all, aside from
the social aspects of "youth group".  This song so perfectly summed up
my feelings about religeon at the time that I could hardly stand it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk41Gbjljfo

The Stone Roses
I have probably listened to the song Fools Gold more than any song
ever.  This is an album I could play over and over, but particularly
Fools Gold (and Elephant Stone) were some of the best music I could
have ever imagined at the time.  They came out with a second album
that was bigger on the radio (called Second Coming), but the first was
far better IMHO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4bHMVAKDao

Others
- Camper Van Bethoven