On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Medic <hofme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, my entire argument (if you can call it that) was based on Scott saying
> (paraphrase) that if all goals were as good as this one, and there were
> more
> of them, he'd watch football.

I didn't catch scott saying that. Doesn't make much sense to me since it'd
be impossible to have every goal be as dramatic as that goal. So that puts
your "argument" in a bit more context, and now I understand why you said
what you said.

> You then had your "America-fuck-yeah" pride bruised that I didn't
> think that because your team scored a goal in the final minute (also pretty
> standard in football) that it's one of the most influential goals in
> football.

I already explained that my fascination was because of the situation, NOT
the team playing...but apparently you just ignored that part?

> My argument to that is simply that if you watch more football
> you'll likely feel the same way.

I already feel that. I've already watched enough football to know that the
goal itself, while nice and well executed, was a fairly standard goal.

> The fact it's America, and you're American, is what makes it so
> significant.

Aw, sorry man, i'm not your stereotypical American, so this old and tired
argument isn't going to fly...but I can understand why you made it (the
ugly/idiotic American argument is an old stand by, especially when applied
to football)

But as I said before, and you chose to ignore, I found the moment gripping
because of the scenario upon which it played out...not because it was
America doing it. If America had won 4-0 and this goal was the 4th goal....i
wouldn't consider it even remotely interesting.