I don't think the situation is entirely cut and dried. For instance,
if we don't raise the debt ceiling, that doesn't mean that we
instantly go into default on our debt. We still have a sizable revenue
stream as a nation and could take money from discretionary spending
projects and use it to pay debt obligations, for instance. But that
would mean sizable cuts in such spending and would wreak havoc with
our domestic programs. Furthermore, even if we did meet our debt
payments, S&P would probably still downgrade our rating, which would
increase our costs across the board and have gnarly negative
repercussions.

There's a really interesting story by Ezra Klein about S&P and our
country's credit rating here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/how-congress-put-our-credit-rating-at-risk/2011/07/11/gIQA3WxhTI_blog.html

The gist of it is this: at the beginning of the year, S&P was of the
opinion that we definitely needed to balance out our spending and
income and reduce long term deficits but there was not a big immediate
concern. But as the year went on, their concern grew. Was it because
our financial picture changed? Nope. It is because the political
picture changed and all of a sudden, you've got a situation where the
political lines are being drawn in the sand and people in Washington
are saying if a deal doesn't get done *right now* they won't ever
agree to anything.

Basically, S&P is looking at the political situation and influential
people in the Tea Party taking over the budget discussion on the
Republican side of the aisle and, as a result, pushing an aggressive
timeline that says "now or never" which makes S&P very worried about
the "never" side of things.

So it's gone from "something that needs to be looked at and dealt with
by adults, we are mildly optimistic it will happen" to "holy shit,
these kids are driving the bus off a fucking cliff and we need to
figure it out right the fuck now". And that's the story of our credit
rating. And it's all political.

Judah