The thing is that the free service is not a true IMAP service, it acts and
behaves as it is. I am also going by what others have told me here as well,
but what I can tell you is that with another IMAP service that I am using
with exchange, and one with my hosting provider they don't experience any
troubles in Outlook. With the gmail app as an IMAP, I am constantly being
synced more than any other IMAP service, and get constant notifications that
the host has closed the connection.

Now this could be an Outlook specific problem with GMAIL and IMAP, but as I
stated I don't get these issues with my other exchange services.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
http://www.andyscott.id.au/