The scientific community has never resisted change.  They're objective, yo!

The issue is scientists can be dogmatic, and "true believers" too
(sort of the flip of what you are saying, no?).

There are no real "facts", right?  And yet you'll hear learned
individuals say such tripe as "you cannot go faster than light".  And
mean it!

That's /not/ what science is about.  Science isn't about fact, it's
about experiment (or something).

The sound barrier was a lame example.  But there's Rosalyn Yalow (got
a Nobel 20 something years after theory being dissed, I guess),
Newton's universal law of gravity.  Heat as a fluid?  Molecular theory
of gasses?  Continental drift?  Mendel's genetics?  Michael Polanyi's
work with solid whatsit?

There's *tons* of Nobel winners who's theories were resisted
(sometimes for decades), not on merit, but because of a human trait to
resist change (that's crazy talk!  Everybody knows you get better by
letting the bad blood out! *plops paper into trash*).  Hundreds of
papers that were turned down, only to become "cornerstones" of
science, sometimes as much as half a century later (in rare instances
longer!).

"Peer review" is an interesting concept.  Don't believe too much into it!  ;)

My point, such as it is, is that we need to beware the one as much as
the other.  Too easy a belief, too hard a cynic.  Thanks to
experiment, the only *down* side to a bad theory is it doesn't pan
out.  What's the down side to ignoring something that would put us
that much further on our path to enlightenment?  Better to try, and
find out (or at least try to find out), than never to try because you
don't "believe".

Keep an open mind, dude.  Even Einstein has been wrong.

As for the GPS theory, did you read the comments on that link?  Are
all those folks just "true believers"?  Or do maybe some of them have
some good points?

Science shouldn't be a popularity contest.  :)p

--
In such diffused changes of culture two factors are necessary: contact
and understanding.