From: C. Hatton Humphrey [mailto:chumph...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:11 AM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: Trust Carbonite

>>> ... A few lawyer
>>> clients have JungleDisk aka RackSpace/Amazon but they charge by the gig.
This piqued my curiosity - we are in the process of rebuilding our
Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity plan here and have been looking
at using the Barracuda backup device.  It's a pretty snazzy deal -
on-site and cloud based backup solution with the ability to do
point-in-time and web based restores.  They're also claiming (not sure
if it's accurate) that their de-duplication technology will cut our
storage needs in half.

The cloud storage does cost - $50/200Gb/mo

The brick wall we're hitting is on the "business continuity" side - my
initial plan was to have VMWare images of our 5 core machines
configured and tucked away in the Amazon cloud and in case of a
catastrophic event (fire, collapsed roof destroying server room, bus
hitting building) we could spin them up and perform a system restore
from the cloud.  What I discovered is that unless we have a physical
device we can't do system state, exchange or SQL Database restores.
I'm thinking that means we'll have to be a bit more creative in what
we backup and how we plan the restore process.

So aside from sharing the Barracuda solution I'll ask - if you've been
given a 4-6 hour window to have core business functionality back up
and running on 5 servers in an emergency (we do have money budgeted,
around $7k),  what solution would you put in place?

Until Later!
C. Hatton Humphrey

No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large