> Has anyone built a Cloud environment from scratch? Not
> configured something that was leased.

You may need to be more specific when you say "cloud".  When I think
of a "cloud" I'm thinking of an environment where you can spin up
instances on-the-fly and allocate hardware and software on an
as-needed basis *to scale*.  The "to scale" part is important here, as
up to that point you're essentially talking about virtualization with
VMWare, Xen, or some other basic hypervisor.  Cloud environments (at
least by my definition) transcend basic single-server virtualization
and put significant hardware resources at your disposal so you can
scale up and out on-demand.  I have built hosting environments which
make use of virtualization to better utilize existing hardware, but I
can't say that I've built a "cloud" in the spirit of AWS and the like.
 Can you elaborate more on what you are trying to accomplish?

-Justin