I've done parts of it but not had to put the whole thing together.

You'll need to start with beefy hardware (obviously) and a
virtualization environment. I've messed around with Xen some and we
used VMWare at my previous job, so have a bit more experience with
VMWare. Then the other part of it is getting new instances up and
configured. For that I have (in another environment) looked at Puppet.
There is also a fork/competitor called Chef that some people like
better. Puppet and the like are specifically aimed at being able to
write a script that says "I need to create this VM with these
attributes, install this OS in a scripted fashion, configure things
this way and install this software".

Then you also need to consider backup, redundancy and load balancing,
ip address allocation and network management, billing and resource
utilization monitoring, etc. Bu the basics of "the cloud" will
probably be contained in something like VMWare and tools like Puppet.

Cheers,
Judah