it was temporary, thankfully.

here is their response: #ftw

"Thank you for your patience - the problem you experienced earlier is
related to some rather large outages that were happening on the
internet - specifically with large providers (Cogent, NTT, Verizon,
and others).  This large outage caused problems internet wide -
traffic had to be rerouted overwhelming other systems.

Essentially it made your site unavailable from certain parts of the
country.  As you could tell our site was working and it is on the same
network as your site - the problems were spotty and unpredictable.

It seems that most of the problems have been accounted for at this
time.  We see there are still some problems related to a few of these
large providers, however other systems are now in place to help with
that problem.  We do not receive bandwidth from all of these providers
directly necessarily, however this big of a problem causes massive
issues internet wide.

We just had to wait it out like everyone else - we're sorry for the
inconvenience."