How many people were on the street at the time and saw the guy?
There's a social psych phenomenon called the Bystander Effect or the
Genovese Syndrome. To quote Wikipedia, this is where

"where individuals do not offer any means of help in an emergency
situation to the victim when other people are present. The probability
of help has in the past been thought to be inversely related to the
number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of
bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. The
mere presence of other bystanders greatly decreases intervention. This
happens because as the number of bystanders increases, any given
bystander is less likely to interpret the incident as a problem, and
less likely to assume responsibility for taking action."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

It may fit in this case.

So if there is any rage over this, then you also need to remember its
how we are constructed.