Not necessarily so:

An paper by Cristobal Young and Charles Varner found that while some
$500,000-plus earners left the state, their rates of out-migration
were broadly in line with the rates for the rest of the population,
who were not subject to the tax.
http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2011/04/20/millionaire-tax-didnt-chase-the-rich-from-new-jersey-study-says/

Young and Varner, estimated the migration effect of New Jersey’s 2004
tax increase on filers with incomes exceeding $500,000.  They found
that while the net out-migration rate of this income group accelerated
after the tax increase went into effect, so did the net outmigration
rate of filers with incomes between $200,000 and $500,000, and by
virtually the same amount.

At most, the authors estimated, 70 filers earning more than $500,000
might have left New Jersey between 2004 and 2007 because of the tax
increase, costing the state an estimated $16.4 million in tax revenue.
 The revenue gain from the tax increase over those years was an
estimated $3.77 billion, meaning that out-migration — if there was any
at all — reduced the estimated revenue gain by a mere 0.4 percent.
http://www.cbpp.org/files/8-4-11sfp.pdf