"And pure democracy.  I wonder if something like that could one day replace
representatives, or change their function.  That would be interesting to
see. "

And be completely against what our founding fathers wanted and designed.

". . . [D]emocracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and
contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the
rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as
they have been violent in their deaths. Theoretic politicians, who have
patronized this species of government, have erroneously supposed that by
reducing mankind to a perfect equality in their political rights, they
would at the same time be perfectly equalized and assimilated in their
possessions, their opinions, and their passions." - The Federalist Papers

Basically, minority and indivicual rights will be destroyed under a
democracy.

-

Mrs. Powel:"Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?"
Benjamin Franklin: "A republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin