Just wondering if this rings a bell for anyone. I have had a couple of
instances where I went from having an internet connection to having none,
apparently without a change getting made to the computer, and apparently
indeed a problem with my laptop.

The first time, I was online doing some work, and rebooted because I was
getting messages about resource exhaustion. This happens. I really need a
more powerful computer than I have, and often have many browser tabs open
plus photoeditors plus word processing software or whatever, so I thought
nothing of it. But I could not log on after than. Eventually determined
that the WLAN Autoconfig was set to Manual. I don't recall making this
change and since an internet connection is usually the first thing I do
when I turn the computer on, I can't imagine that I would have set it to
anything but Automatic. I did mess around considerably with the services
though before I got them working correctly, but no matter how confused I
was at the time I don't think I would have done that.

So all is well, it's a couple of weeks later, and I send a couple of emails
just as I leave the house, so the computer's internet connection is working
then. I come back a couple of hours later and of course the internet
connection has timed out. I try to connect again and keep getting messages
that I am connected but there is no internet available. DHCP is enabled,
DNS is enabled, RPC and WLAN Autoconfig are enabled. Finally discover than
the wireless adapter is disabled. Nobody was at home with the computer
during this time.

Maybe there's some sort of known issue with Windows Update (?)  is the only
thing I can think of, but not having any success with Google. I don't seem
to have any scheduled tasks for this time of day. Any thoughts?

The config is Windows 7 on a Toshiba netbook. Noticed when I was trying to
help Greg that there's a service pack 1 now, and downloaded it, so it was
running for incident #2 but not incident #1. I am running something very
close to factory configuration, have lots of space on the hard drive, and
Microsoft diagnostics report zero memory errors and no unusual processes.
Hijack This agrees on the lack of malware. I usually use Chrome and the
onboard wireless adapter.

Seems worth asking. If it happens again I'll probably figure it out again,
but I'd rather not have to. Thanks for any brainpower that may get devoted
to this question.