On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM, Jerry Barnes <critic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Welcome to life in a free society, J. You can't shut everyone up just because
> someone might listen to them."
>
> But like Judah has stated, you sure as hell can call them out on it instead
> of ignoring it.  By calling them out, there will be consequences.

It isn't a matter of "shutting them up". Much as I may dislike Rush
Limbaugh, I'm not petitioning Congress to never allow him to appear on
an FCC-licensed radio station or anything.

You call people out and say, "this isn't ok". You use your power of
speech help make it known that this sort of thing, in your opinion, is
not acceptable. And the more people that speak up, the louder that
message becomes. Currently, there is a loud enough and large enough
set of voices out there expressing their disapproval of Limbaugh that
things are changing. Will it change the nature of his discourse on his
program long term? Will it change the nature of discourse in general
in the media long term? I don't know. I can hope but then again,
Limbaugh has been through this particular gauntlet many times before
and obviously there has been no long term change in his behavior. We
shall see.

As for Rhodes, I really don't know enough about her to say much of
anything categorical. If this type of violent rhetoric is her norm, it
sounds pretty egregious. It also sounds like she has already been
kicked off at least one network, so perhaps the disapproval of her is
already working to marginalize her vitriol.

Cheers,
Juda